Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Mac and Cheese
– 1/2 lbs macaroni or other small pasta
– 3/4 cups un-roasted cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours
– 2 teaspoons olive oil
– 1 small yellow onion, diced medium
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 cups vegetable broth
– 1 1/2 tablespoons organic cornstarch
– 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
– 1 roasted red peppers (jarred or homemade)
– 1 tablespoons tomato paste
– 1 1/2 teaspoons pizza seasoning (see note)
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon ground mustard
– 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
– Preheat a 2 quart sauce pot over medium heat. Saute onions in oil with a pinch of salt for 5 to 7 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or so, then transfer to a blender or food processor.
– Boil a large pot of salted water for cooking the pasta. Once boiling, cook pasta according to package directions.
– Drain the cashews and add them to the blender along with the vegetable broth, corn starch, nutritional yeast, red peppers, tomato paste, pizza seasoning, salt, mustard and turmeric. Blend until very smooth. Scrape down the sides every 30 seconds or so and test for smoothness.
– Transfer the sauce in the blender back to the sauce pot where you cooked the onions. Turn the heat up to medium and let cook, stirring very often, until thickened. This should take between 10 and 15 minutes. Taste for salt. It should taste slightly salty because you’re going to be pouring it on the pasta.
– The pasta should be done while the sauce is thickening, so drain and place pasta back in the pot you cooked it in. Set aside.
– When sauce is thickened, add it to the pasta in the pot, and use a large slotted spoon to mix well, taking care not to break the pasta.
*Recipe from isachandra.com*