I used to think I didn’t like beets… But then I realized it was because I thought there was only one way to eat them! Boy, was I wrong. So, I started experimenting with beets and invented some cool recipes that I would love to share with you. But first, did you know just how healthy beets are?
Let’s talk about the health benefits of beets. Here they are in a nutshell:
1) Beets assist in reducing inflammation and its symptoms such as pain and swelling
2) Beets contain anti-cancer properties and assist in reducing the risk of different types of cancer
3) Beets boost blood flow
4) Beets contain vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, iron, vitamin A and C and folic acid
5) Beets increase heart health
6) Beets help regulate cholesterol
7) Beets support a healthy liver function8) Beets are delicious and easy to cook! You will also FEEL healthier after you eat them.
Here’s a recipe I created just yesterday. I started using Golden Beets over the holidays and they are super sweet. I have been mixing these beets in just about any plant-based dish…and they are delish! My Sweet Beets Dish
1/2 cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil, preferably “Irini” because it’s light and sweet)
3 or 4 golden beets, sliced
2-3 sweet potatoes, cut in quarters
2-3 russet potatoes, cut in quarters
1/2 leek, finely sliced- 1/2 cup water
1 tsp oregano, ground or fresh
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1) In oven dish, add all ingredients in, pouring EVOO and spices on top
2) add 1/2 water
3) Mix all ingredients gently
4) Bake uncovered at 400 F for 1 hour.
Toss half-way through.
Note: This past month I made about 3 or 4 variations of this recipe. Each time substituting one vegetable for another. I encourage you to experiment at home until you discover your favourite combination!
Here’s a clip of me on national TV showing off one of my Signature dishes using purple beets… https://globalnews.ca/video/3866538/happy-vegan-holidays Feel free to share your own beet-licious recipes. 🙂